As many of you know, the Philadelphia Sculpture Gym has run so far on donations of tools, time and money, for which I am extremely grateful! I am happy to report that we are almost ready to open, and are just waiting on them to finish hooking up the new electric service. The only thing that is missing are a few key tools...namely a belt and disc sander, a jointer and a bending brake. If anyone has one (or more) of these things (or anything else) and is interested in donating them to PSG or leasing them to us through our tool leasing program (in return for time in the studio), please send me an email at email@example.com
We have gotten the following tools via donation or purchase using donated money or as a loan as part of our tool leasing program: drill press, horizontal band saw, band saw, table saw, sliding compound miter saw, miter saw (chop saw), abrasive cut off saw, 2 wood lathes, a MIG welder, a TIG welder, a plasma cutter, an air compressor, bench grinders, an anvil and more... and I cannot thank everyone enough. It has been a crazy, yet wonderful, yet *ahem* difficult, yet incredibly amazing journey and it would not be possible without all of your help. Stay tuned for opening party details soon! Ah!
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
- Connect to tens of thousands of arts enthusiasts from around
the region: 2012 audiences estimated at 36,876!
- Build and maintain an audience for your work, connect with
clients, arts professionals, and other artists.
- Program staff can assist artists in need of studio space for the
weekend of the Tour.
- Submit your portfolio for potential inclusion in the annual
POST exhibition series: 4 headlining shows in 2012
- Promote your work and studio location throughout the year:
POST visibility exceeds one million impressions
- Enjoy exclusive benefits from local businesses including Blick
Art Materials, Photo Lounge, and more.
- Participate in special promotions like GPTMC’s With Art
campaign and the Knight-funded Made In Philly project.
TO SIGN UP VISIT www.philaopenstudios.org
Learn how to Craft a Winning Proposal
Thursday, May 23, 2013 @ 5:30 at The Center for Emerging Visual Artists, 237 S 18th Street Suite 3A
Speaker: Ken Goldman, Senior Associate Vice President & Chief Philanthropic Officer, Drexel University
Ken Goldman has been a member of the fund raising profession for 30 years. From 1983-1995, Ken raised money for arts-related organizations, first serving as a development officer for Wisconsin Public Radio in Madison, WI and Playhouse Square Center in Cleveland, OH, then becoming Director of Development for the Memphis, TN Symphony Orchestra, the Pacific Symphony Orchestra in Orange County, CA, and the Motion Picture & Television Fund Foundation in Woodland Hills, CA.
Since 1996, Ken has worked in higher education fund raising, entirely at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. Ken is currently the Senior Associate Vice President & Chief Philanthropic Officer. In this role, Ken supports the fund raising efforts of the President and Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement, manages the Principal Gifts program, and oversees the Prospect Research team.
Ken had an additional role at Drexel as an Adjunct Instructor in the Arts Administration Program. From 2000-2007, Ken taught the course entitled "Writing for the Arts," which primarily focused on grant writing. Ken has a Bachelor's degree in English from Rutgers University and a Master's degree in Arts Administration from the Wisconsin School of Business at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Location: CFEVA, 237 S 18th, Suite 3A
The program begins at 5:30 pm. This session is $12.00 general admission. Artists affilalated with The Center for Emerging Visual Artists and InLiquid receive a $2 discount. Pre- Registration is required. Individuals who have not pre-registered are not guaranteed a seat. To reserve a space or to receive more information about The Center for Emerging Visual Artists or Direct Dialogues Lecture Series, please contact Genevieve Coutroubis, by phone (215) 546 - 7775 x 11 or by email Genevieve@cfeva.org
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Come out this Saturday for this amazing duo of events. Here's what's happening:
- We'll have a booth over on Trenton Avenue from 12-5pm with some demos and info about PSG.
We'll also have stuff for sale and info on our upcoming classes!
- We are a sponsor of the Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby so keep an eye out for our PSG judge representative, Andrew Wilkinson!
- The Philadelphia Sculpture Gym Gallery is having a reception for our 2nd Annual Charter Member Exhibition from 12-5pm! We'll also be giving tours of the space!
- From 12-1pm the PSG side yard will be a spectator spot for the parade of derby vehicles and we'll be doing a potluck BBQ! Bring a snack to share with your fellow lovers of sculpture!
Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!!!