Monday, June 11, 2012

Worlds Collide...

What are you afraid of? by Darla Jackson, 2005

Some people who know me know that one of my "past lives" (one of the many things I did before getting into sculpture) was as a tattoo apprentice. I was always interested in tattoos and initially thought I wanted to do them as a profession. However, during my apprenticeship, I was offered a job teaching a sculpture class at an art center and decided to take it, leaving the tattoo world for the sculpture world....though periodically the two collide...

Last year (I think) I had gotten an Etsy message from someone who had gotten my sculpture, What are you afraid of? tattooed on their shoulder. Alot of people were questioning whether I was ok with it and honestly, I was flattered. I figure if they liked it enough to wear it on their body for the rest of their lives and they were ok with it, then so was I. And I thought it was an interesting combo of the path I almost took and the path I did take.


I had forgotten about this until today, when I got another photo, this time via my Facebook Page, of the same sculpture tattooed on a forearm. Again, I'm flattered and of all the pieces I've ever made, I'm always so amazed that this is the one that people relate most to... This was the first piece I did that experimented with the dual meaning and really started me down the road of creating the type of work I do. So a big thanks to anyone who loves the image enough to live with it forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment